montage

Frau's bookshelf: read

Prozac Nation
Love Story
Love the One You're With
Vita Brevis: A Letter to St Augustine
Where She Went
My Name Is Memory
Ligo Na U, Lapit Na Me
South of the Border, West of the Sun
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Love Begins in Winter: Stories
Written on the Body
Oranges are Not the Only Fruit
Haunted
Diary
The Solitude of Prime Numbers
On Love
By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept
The Lover's Dictionary
Sophie's World
}

19 August, 2011

The ellipsis...: On E. Segal's "Love Story" and I on ours

*Note:
Originally drafted the morning of 29th July, 2011.


       To have fallen in love with E. Segal's "Love Story" with its tragic ending and all..means that i am quite hesitant to read its sequel, "Oliver's Story". I didn't even know it existed until i chanced upon it on a shelf of a bookstore just yesterday. Until then, I was pretty content with how Jenny and Oliver's simple yet compelling story ended..no matter how sad, abrupt and sudden it is.

But as I have fortuitously come across this book, as if by destiny, I am having second thoughts.. of whether to read, to know, what has come out of Oliver after Jenny. I am a little apprehensive whether I still would like to know since I'm thinking what happened with them is the end.

I thought the end of Jenny was the end of Oliver too.

But apparently, it is not. For just like life, just like with anyone, Oliver must move on.. Oliver must live still.


And as I try to think why I'm hesitant about it, I think, it's much like you and me, D.


I cannot say I like how you and I ended our story. Its just that, I'M NOT SURE HOW IT WILL GO ON. I don't want to leave this "place of hiatus" this seeming "end" lest i know that what will happen afterwards makes everything better for us.

What's more is that...with Oliver's story, I'm very sure his story will no longer continue on with Jenny. And that's my biggest fear: that your story will no longer continue on with me. And that my story will continue on without you. I'm not certain yet how Oliver managed to do this, how he managed to move on with Jenny and I'm pretty uncertain how i will move on from you. I'm not even certain if i want to.


But I guess, with my uncontrollable curiosity for almost anything, I'm probably leaning on to reading it. I'm even considering buying it later today. But I'm not guaranteeing yet that I'm going to read. 


Sometimes, yes just some of the times, it is comforting enough to know that the story continues..even though you dont know how, why, or what the details are. 

Sometimes, that is. For when i think about how your story continues without me, this thing in my chest rebels. It tries to go out of its cage, to find you, to seek you, to be close to you, but then only hurts itself because it never can.

Sometimes when you chanced upon the knowledge that it continues, you just don't want to know.


This has me reflecting about life itself. and of our love story in general
 

*Another note:
In realization of the lines---
"But I guess, with my uncontrollable curiosity for almost anything, I'm probably leaning on to reading it. I'm even considering buying it later today. But I'm not guaranteeing yet that I'm going to read."
I did bought the book that same afternoon. But as of this posting, I have yet to read the aforementioned, circumstantial book.